Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Newspapers, Negative Nancy's


Hi,

So I've started to get into a routine every morning. I guess this has been going on for about 6 months...is that long enough to qualify as a "routine?" Not important. So as I was saying, I have a routine in the morning that involves me getting out of bed, turning on the pot of coffee and walking out to the driveway to get the newspaper while my coffee brews. I say walk, but the last few weeks has been more of a run or "sprint" if you will, because it's been raining buckets here in The Bay Area.

*Side note* I always capitalize "The Bay Area" because it seems equivalent to saying something like "New England"...which as we all know, is capitalized. Capitalizing it makes is sounds in important. The Bay Area is important.

So, back to the morning, I walk in the house with my paper sit down at my kitchen table and pull out the sections I want to read. At this point I kind of dawdle because I want to have hot coffee in my hand while I read. Is this weird? Probably. Once the coffee maker beeps (YES!) I grab my cup and start reading the paper. Sections that I read: (In order) Sports, Business, then Comics/Crossword. If I see something interesting on the front page I will usually scan that as well.

Today I was reading the Business section and noticed an article on home sales in the month of December 2009. Apparently homes sales in The Bay Area went down last month as compared to the month before. I actually knew that this was true but it wasn't for the reason you think. Home sales have gone down because there is no stinking inventory. When there are no homes to sell, it makes it hard for sales to go up. They go on to explain in the article that homes are indeed selling and in fact they have been getting multiple offers. I am glad that the columnist clarified that in the article but it still irked me that the title had such a negative connotation. There are many people reading the paper who will scan the section and see the headline, "Home sales in Bay Area decline in December." They will see that and likely assume the worst, and you can't really blame them. It was definitely something that gnawed on me but hey, not a ton I can do about it...except tell you about it in this awesome blog.

So, end of story, I read the comics to cheer me up (Pearls Before Swine you rock!) I finished my coffee and got ready for work. Pretty standard.

Moral of the story: My blog has factual information that can blow your mind...or give you something do when you have a free minute.

Conor

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

just stumbled on your blog via your FB post. great post. so true about just remembering the headline. thanks for clarifying those stats... I found that interesting. good luck with business!!

Conor Dunn said...

Hey Shannel! Thanks for reading and commenting. Just checked out your site as well. I will follow your lead and try and get more photos up.

CD

Heather said...

So you're saying I should move to The Bay Area (notice capitalization) and buy a house?

Conor Dunn said...

Of course you should move up because if you do, you can teach yoga classes to the cross country kids.

Heather said...

yay yoga! I may get to come up for work...it's a long shot and it would be during the week...but maybe lunchy?

Anonymous said...

Question is: Where do you think the market is going? Is there still enough inventory to get a decent deal on a house in the "TheBayArea". Or should I continue to wait to buy? AMA